Friday 7 January 2011

Evaluation of first front cover.


Evaluation of front covers

When creating my front covers I took out a questionnaire, which I handed out to 6th form students at Sponne School, in which helped me to choose a masthead for my front cover. I analysed my results and concluded that SPN was the most favourite. I asked for a reason why they felt that SPN worked the best for a school magazine. They concluded that SPN was very catchy, short but easy to remember.
We then had to then add four cover lines and one incentive to our front covers which would entice the audience to read the magazine.
‘Feeling that CBA feeling?’ was added as one of the cover lines. I chose to use this as all of the students would know what this phrase means as it is often used for when you can’t be bothered to do something. This could be either out of school or in school which would meet my conclusion from my questionnaire.
Also, ‘Reputations, are they really worth it?’ People around the age of 16-18 still feel that they need to fit with different people or that they need to attract attention to themselves by doing something that they regret. This would give those people advice and the truth behind reputations and making them think that they should think about things before they do them.
Also, ‘The best ways to apply for Uni and succeed!’ It has became extremely hard to get into University, so this would definitely grab the students attention and the word ‘succeed’ is a buzz word which can be emotive to the reader.
Also, ‘10 tips to update your wardrobe’ Students who enjoy fashion and want to look trendy would love the fact that there are tips on enhancing their look. This would make them be interested in the magazine and want to purchase it.
For the incentive I chose to use ‘Discount on student card!’ I feel that all of the cover lines and the incentive works’ well and I must follow them through with my music magazine.


The central images shows direct mode of address by looking towards the camera lens which attracts the target audience. Many students would be drawn upon the fact that the girl on the cover is looking at them, and would make them want to read about what is in the magazine.
The colour of the books that she is holding in her arms compliment the colour scheme that I have chosen. This makes the magazine look more attractive. However, because of the central image and the colour 'pink' this could be portrayed as being more of a female magazine. This must be thought about while I design the colour scheme for my music magazine.


The masthead 'SPN' is a very catchy name for a magazine, however I feel that on this certain front cover it doesn't stand out from the rest of the writing. I did try to make the masthead font size larger, but it would gone over the central image, therefore distracting the direct mode of address. I feel that the black font for the masthead works well and helps it stand out a little bit more, than if it was red or blue.

The seal of approval is in the right place for this magazine front cover, however it is a bit too plain. When i design a seal of approval for my music magazine i will make sure i don't have it as one of the colours in the colour scheme. It doesn't stand out enough. Although, the writing that has been put on the seal approval would definitely attract the target audience because of the colour and the short and sharp phrase '£1 TODAY' Students would want to buy something that is cheaper on the day. 
There could be some improvement on the detail and how it stands out from the rest of the other objects on the front cover.


I have placed a subheading underneath the masthead 'Sponne's Must Have'. I have done this to add a moto/phrase to the magazine. This also persuades the students to buy the magazine because students always have to have the latest thing that is around, especially as its in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment