Monday 14 March 2011

Evaluation of outcome and process of mock-up

We were asked to make a mock up of a music magazine. I chose to do a ‘BILLBOARD’ music front cover, as I was researching on the internet I found one with Kesha on the front. I then asked one of my friends to model for me to give a similar shot.

The shot I chose to capture was evidently a medium close-up to show the same features and facial expression as Kesha. Also, while taking the shot I had to make sure that her hair was in the right position and have her head titled to the side. I took around 8 shots to give me a broad selection to make sure I had the perfect image for my mock up. I narrowed the images down and concluded that this image was the best for it. The lighting on her face is similar to the original which enhances her ‘sexy’ eyes and the way she is pouting towards the camera. I also told Gaby to make sure she gives direct mode of address to connect with the target audience.


 Before the photo shoot, I had designed a template background on ‘firework’ which had a glittery theme. I did this because around the edges of the magazine you can see a glittery background. I was very pleased to see that my first approach of the mock up was a success.
My next step was so design the masthead. To do this, I went onto www.dafont.com to find a similar font of ‘Billboard’. I then copied and pasted the font onto paint and filled the ‘b, o, a and d’ with the colour of red, yellow, blue and green. After I had opened the image onto firework, I then opened the masthead and lined that up on her forehead which is similar to the original.

I then added some graphics my magazine, such as the diagonal lines going behind the word ‘KE$HA’ and ‘THE’. To make my mock up look slightly different I made the lines bigger. The graphics add more detail to the magazine. I then researched on the internet for a similar barcode and then placed that onto the mock up. Once adding the barcode, I felt that this had made the magazine look more professional.
As you can see by looking at the original magazine, in the top right hand corner there is a blue graphic with advertisement on. This is to entice the audience to read this part of the magazine; it could also be classed as a seal of approval. 


My next step for my mock up was to add the coverlines with all similar fonts. To make this step easier, I went onto a word document and then had the image on the page and picked a font that went similar with the original, I found that many of the fonts were very similar to those on the word document which surprised me because I thought they would of gone for s0mething much more complicated but in fact they had gone for a simple approach.
Once I had placed all of the texts on firework I then rearranged them to where they were on the original. I then adjusted things like capital letters and boldness when all of the writing was on the image.

Overall I am very pleased with my mock of the music magazine and would find it very fun to do it again. My only concerns for this mock up are; some of the coverlines have larger fonts which sometimes spread over the central image which can be distracting, but this is something I can work on.


No comments:

Post a Comment